Let’s get this out of the way early: snacks are great. Chips, cookies, crackers, cheese: you name it, they taste great and we love reaching for something when we feel peckish. Sadly, all those snacks we love to pick up at the store contain high amounts of carbs and calories and can pack on the pounds over time. When people decide to go on diets o drop unwanted pounds and fit into old shirts and jeans, they cut back on foods they enjoy, especially snacks.
Trouble is, we’re all human and maybe we’re a bit hungry and want a snack to tide us over between meals – that’s where trouble can strike. It’s easy to have a few more handfuls of snacks than you should and that’s okay. It happens. But rather than potentially sabotaging your Billings weight loss journey’s hard work, you could try switching up your snack game for some healthier options.
- Celery sticks. These low calories, mostly water veggies are easy to snack on and give you something to crunch on that isn’t deep fried, or full of carbs. Pair it with some cottage cheese or peanut butter for some extra flavor without adding on too many calories.
- Zucchini chips. Think of a potato chip, but made from zucchini. They contain far less starch and with a little olive oil, low-and-slow baking, and some sea salt, you have a healthier alternative on your hands.
- Roasted chickpeas. These are low-cal, low guilt, and easy to munch by the handful. You can season them however you like. May we suggest some chili powder and lime?
- Hummus. Speaking of chickpeas, this tasty spread made from them is a Mediterranean not-so-secret snack that goes well with plenty of foods. You can dip your celery sticks in this dip without adding inches to your waistline.
- An apple: Let’s go beyond the old, “an apple a day” adage. If you’re hungry, grab an apple. If you aren’t hungry enough to eat an apple, you aren’t actually hungry.
- Beef jerky. Want a tasty, salty, protein-packed snack? Grab a pack of beef jerky. Protein helps you feel full and repair your muscles after a workout.
- Nuts. Nuts are packed with protein and healthy fats to fill you up without overloading on calories.
- Edamame. You might know them better as soybeans. You boil them for a few minutes on the stove, add some salt, and enjoy a traditional East Asian snack. If you have it on hand, add some sriracha to the water to add some heat.
- Frozen banana: These can be a great alternative to dessert and sweet treats. Toss one in the freezer for a few hours (don’t worry if the peel turns brown, it isn’t overripe) and then enjoy; they almost have an ice cream-like texture.
- A cheese stick: You read that right, that childhood favorite snack can fill you up for quite a bit and taste good too.
Everybody falls off the wagon at some point when they go on a diet, it’s just human nature – and that’s perfectly acceptable. As long as you keep your head up and work towards your goal, that’s what’s important. Cutting back on snacks is no easy task, but by grabbing the 10 we’ve listed above, you have a better shot at reaching your goals. Additionally, we have plenty of products to help you burn fat, stay full longer, and lose weight faster that go great with any diet plan. Take a look at our protein shakes and fat burners today and call us to learn more about which ones are right for your Billings weight loss journey!